The parallel universe – totally divorced from reality – that is the UN:
“2014 is the worst year for Palestinians since 1967″.
Excuse me? THAT is what is worrying the UN today?
Let’s see just some of the things that meantime are worrying people on Planet Earth, far removed from the rarified atmosphere of the UN:
- At the time of writing, Shia Iran is invading Yemen via its Houthi terrorist proxies.
- Sunni Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Egypt, Pakistan and other countries have sent in jets to bomb the Iranian-backed Houthi troops.
- Saudi Arabia says 100 jets and a ground invasion of 150,000 troops will be needed to counter the Iranian offensive.
- With this latest development, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and the Gulf states have tacitly allied themselves with Israel in openly acknowledging that US President Obama the biggest single strategic danger to the Middle East – and by extension the world – for his string of catastrophic foreign-policy failures. That at least is the one encouraging sign in all this – Obama’s policies have actually created a kind of detente between the Jewish state and much of the Arab world. Kudos – finally! – to Obama. Albeit not the way he planned it…
- Lebanon is already lost to Shia terrorist army Hezbollah, another Iranian proxy.
- Syria has seen more than 200,000 of its civilians butchered in a primeval slaughter carried out by – you guessed it – Shia Iran-backed Alawite leader Assad. He is currently engaged in battling not only his own civilians but also various ISIS/Daesh terrorist groups. ISIS/Daesh are Sunni groups. Not to be confused with Sunni al Qaeda subsidiary al Nusra, which sometimes fights alongside ISIS/Daesh, and sometimes against them.
- Sunni attacks against Shia mosques, and Shia attacks against Sunni mosques, in Iraq are reaching epidemic proportions on a weekly, often daily, basis.
- The Christian population in the Arab world is being decimated. Not least in the Palestinian territories under the control of Fatah and Hamas. And in Nigeria. And Syria. And Iraq. And Pakistan. And Egypt.
- The Kurds, a wonderful 20-million strong people crying out for their independence, are being utterly ignored by the world community.
- Iran is on the verge of being allowed to reach break-out to create its very own nuclear bomb – with the agreement of US President Obama and the slightly more reluctant but coerced agreement of the Europeans.
And all this is just the Middle East. That’s before we get to massive political, medical and educational problems in Africa, economic problems in South America, Russia’s constantly flexing muscles in first Ukraine and now Finland (!), China’s illegal occupation and ethnic cleansing of Tibet, Turkey’s illegal occupation and ethnic cleansing of half of Cyprus, the massive, seemingly unstoppable, flow of desperate migrants from North Africa to Europe, and more and more and more.
But the UN bigwigs, bless their high tax-free salaries, free travel, air-conditioned offices and publicly funded golden retirement schemes, choose to ignore all this and instead highlight the fact that Palestinian civilians died in 2014.
That would be the year Hamas declared war on Israel and fired rockets on Israeli civilians from within civilian infrastructure – and even killed scores of their own people with misfired rockets, as Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch have now documented.
Seriously, isn’t it time we disbanded the UN and recreated a world body open only to democratic states? Which would, for instance, automatically exclude “Palestine”, whose President Mahmud Abbas has now entered the eleventh year of his five-year presidency. Abbas is supported in this venture, financially, diplomatically, militarily, by the US, EU and – you guessed it – the UN …