In the topsy-turvy world in which we have been condemned to live by a cohort of spineless, unprincipled, unethical and partisan demagogues – and that’s just in the US and Europe, before we even get to the Arab and wider Muslim worlds – black is white, good is evil, right is wrong.
And above all: being blind and deaf is a virtue.
- Missiles being fired by a government over a period of ten (10) years from within civilian residential areas into a neighbouring country’s civilian residential areas merits not even a yawn in the US, EU or UN if the perpetrators are radical Jihadi Muslims and the victims are Jews.
- Religious institutions can be blown up and worshippers slaughtered by the score over a period of decades and it merits not even a yawn in the US, EU or UN if the perpetrators are radical Jihadi Muslims and the victims are Buddhists in Afghanistan, Hindus in Saudi Arabia, Hindus in India, Hindus in Bangladesh, Christians in Iraq, Christians in Saudi Arabia (more here), Christians in Egypt, Christians in Ethiopia, Christians in Tanzania, Christians in Pakistan, Christians in Somalia, Christians in Gaza (more here and here), Christians in the Palestinian Authority and Jews just about anywhere.
- But when the victims themselves are Muslims, and the perpetrators are other Muslims – Muslim governments and leaders with whom the US, EU and UN have been doing lucrative business for decades – then suddenly conventional wisdom no longer holds true. The Western world has for decades backed Egypt’s Mubarak knowing full well that he is a dictator little different from Libya’s Gaddafi, Turkey’s Erdogan, Assad’s Syria, Gaza’s Haniyeh or Hezbollah-Lebanon’s Nasrallah. But as long as their strident rhetoric and actions target Israel, the world’s sole Jewish state (view the brilliant tongue-in-cheek poster campaign by Elder of Ziyon which tears to shreds the bizarre suggestion that Israel is an “Apartheid State”) all is well with the West. It’s when such regimes start openly targeting their own citizens that interesting differences start to emerge.
To whit: Mubarak is abandoned in the blink of an eye despite being the West’s most loyal bulwark against the spread of aggressive, radical and global Islamism. He is diplomatically abandoned because he is victimising his own people. Gaddafi, on the other hand, is not only diplomatically abandoned, he is militarily targeted by NATO for the same reprehensible behaviour. And quite rightly too. But Syria – whose vicious crimes against its citizens cause the unrest in the rest of the Arab world to pale into insignificance – is specifically told that it will not see any form of robust action to deter its ongoing massive crimes against humanity. Nonetheless, the Syrian regime has been taught a severe lesson – its ambassador to London had his invitation to the royal wedding in London today withdrawn. The regime must be quaking in its boots. What other damaging reprisals can they expect – no sugar in their tea the next time they are invited to tea with the Queen?
Bear in mind all the time that Gaddafi owned up to and gave up his nuclear weapons capabilities and is being punished for his pains, and although one of Syria’s facilities was disabled by Israel a few years ago there are indications that the rogue Arab regime has additional nuclear facilities within its extensive borders. Iran, which routinely murders its citizens if they aspire to democracy, women’s rights, Christianity, and political opposition, brutally put down massive nationwide unrest by citizens demanding freedom – while the Western world stayed resolutely silent. Iran is rapidly developing nuclear weapons capabilities, and has sworn to destroy the Jewish state. Do the math.
A few interesting insights emerge from an analysis of the above anomalies:
- Secular Muslim regimes are being systematically torn apart by a Western world totally out of its depth in the ongoing political and demographic changes sweeping the region.
- Radical Islamic regimes are being cosseted by the West in a misguided belief that this will buy them freedom from subsequent destruction at the hands of radical Islam.
- No Western state is willing to identify the root of the evil as Islamism itself, even though it is obvious that it is here and nowhere else that the cause of the world’s current malaise is to be found. The West’s political echelon is blind and deaf to the very real and very rapidly expanding dangers of Islamism, pretending all the while that it is behaving with impeccable political correctness in a world where everyone respects one another.
- Those Arab and Muslim regimes that are geographically closest to Israel are allowed to go unhindered about their radical business, while in the less malignant regimes in the Arab world (everything is relative) that are more geographically distant from Israel, regime change is being actively supported by the West – even though the radical, Jihadist Muslim Brotherhood is waiting in the wings in these countries.
To find out just what the Muslim and Arab mindsets are all about and to understand their view of history and their hopes for the future, read the excellent Four Myths about the Crusades by Paul F. Crawford. Among much else, he spotlights the West’s woeful inability to separate fact from fiction and decries the self-effacing way in which the West is committing collective suicide.
“nothing is served by distorting the past for our own purposes. Or rather: a great many things may be served . . . but not the truth. Distortions and misrepresentations of the crusades will not help us understand the challenge posed to the West by a militant and resurgent Islam, and failure to understand that challenge could prove deadly. Indeed, it already has.”
Paul F. Crawford